The response from those in attendance at the Colorado Hospital Association meeting where I recently gave a keynote presentation was simply amazing! It was so overwhelmingly positive that I have decided to share some of the presentation with you who were not able to attend. Here is what I believe will be the top 10 effects of digital innovation on hospitals and the health sector for patients and consumers. I would love to hear what you think! Do you agree? What are your thoughts?
Top 10 effects of digital innovation on hospitals
- Insurance companies will become Health Companies.
- Retail stores, pharmacies & post-offices become health centers.
- Your TV (and any other screen) will become your doctor’s office.
- Your smartphone will become a health device.
- Consumer technology, smart clothes & health apps etc. will assist with health management.
- Patients will support each other through social media, VR and AR.
- Doctor’s will treat environments not just patients.
- Our medicines will tell us when they need to be taken.
- Your car will become your ambulance.
- Your Home will become your hospital.
Spot on, Chris! i especially like #7. At the individual level, that could mean prescribing that a patient get their roof fixed to stop the leaks that cause mold that causes asthma. But to make an impact at the population level, providers need to leverage their credibility and become advocates for system change. Example-inequities in access to broadband reflect policies that encode structural racism. Providers can advocate for expanded broadband access. if for no other reason than, as you taught us at IAPHS, health systems need connected patients!